To understand


 


His cry pierced the silence of the night. At that time, several months ago, our little son Elijah was normally sleeping through the night. I waited a minute, but his cries did not abate, and so I pulled him out of his tent pitched at the end of our bed. Instantly, I knew he was warm, too warm even for a humid night in rainy season in Chad. 


I nudged Gabriel awake, and he found the thermometer. 39 degrees Celsius. Fever. My baby has a fever. And I’m in Chad. Warning bells went off in my head and fear gripped my heart. I had known this day would come, I knew sooner or later he would get malaria. This was his first time, though, and I was nervous. 


I slathered his Malarone pill in peanut butter and Gabriel shoved it down his throat. After nursing him, finally he fell back asleep. The next few days were marked by fever, fussiness, and fervent prayers. The majority of local families have lost a child to malaria and even missionary children have died in this land of malaria. 


At times I felt guilty for his illness, I just couldn’t understand what I had done wrong? Double mosquito net, sealed room, always in bed from 6:30pm to 6am, sprayed house, etc. How did he get malaria? But somehow a nasty anopheles mosquito stole my son’s blood and left Plasmodium in exchange. 


In exchange for speaking at the women’s retreat, our missionary friend, Jonathan, drove us and his family to the location 1.5-2 hours in the bush. We climbed in the back of his land cruiser and started rumbling down the dirt roads. At one moment, we met a large herd of cattle. So to avoid them, and as rainy season was long over at this point, we went slightly off the road. And much to all of our surprise, the land cruiser jolted to a halt. We were stuck. Somehow there was still a patch of wet soil left and our tires had found it. The team of missionaries, with the help of a few locals, pulled and pushed and dug and laid down grasses for traction. But the tires only spun deeper into the mud, two of which were at least halfway covered up. More locals came and created more opportunities for traction with their rice straw. I sought a shady place to pray with the kids and my missionary mom friend, Melody. I couldn’t understand why their efforts weren’t working but finally an hour later, with much effort and divine aid, we were out of the miry clay and rolling on towards the women’s retreat. 


I spoke on how to treat the folks in our lives so as to have a happy home. Melody gave practical examples on child training. She used her children as examples and asked them to complete a simple task for her, giving them hugs and praises afterwards. The public display of affection brought smiles and laughs from the audience as it is so very unnatural for their culture.


Preventative care also seems to be unnatural here, though we try to change that. Cancers, diabetes, wounds, etc, are usually seen here at advanced stages. For example, I diagnose cervical cancer, it seems, about once a month by digital vaginal exam. Post menopausal bleeding doesn’t make warning bells go off in most heads here other than that of we missionary docs. 


Her main complaints were fatigue and abdominal pain. I happened to be the ultrasonographer the day that my 50ish nomadic mama patient presented to the hospital. I’ll be honest in that I’ve never had formal training as an ultrasonographer. But during those rare moments when the one regular guy who does it is on vacation, as well as the other missionary docs, there’s no other option than me. 


I inquired a bit regarding her pregnancy and menstrual history, finding out that her last child was at least 10 and her last period several years ago up until the last few months. I asked if she would allow a vaginal exam and sure enough, she was full of hard nobby masses. 


I knew she couldn’t really understand what this word was, “cancer.” Does she even have a word for cancer in her language? But other than iron supplements and antiparasites and silent prayers, there was nothing more that I could do for her.


Even still we are always pondering the question of what more we can do for our patients. Gabriel spent the last 4 months translating a children’s bible story series into French. To make it practical, we just printed 1,000 copies to start giving to every child who is hospitalized with us. We pray that someone in their family or neighborhood or church might find a way to read it to them. The large percentage of families here don’t own a single book. 


And thus, this is why the customs agents were correct in that they didn’t know how to read or speak French. At first I couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t recognize the papers we brought to them stating the relationship between our hospital’s umbrella NGO with the government. Then I was told by our translator and local AHI worker that they couldn’t read. 


The Netteburgs just arrived here again over a week ago. They raised funds and made great efforts to get 25 suitcases full of medical supplies over the ocean. But then the van driver bringing the suitcases from the capital city to our hospital got stuck by these dudes and the Netts were stuck in quarantine. 


Thankfully we had just rolled into the capital ourselves after 11 hours of bouncing on the bus preceded by the 1.5 hour motorcycle ride with the sunrise at our backs. So we went straight to the customs agency with our trusty taxi driver and local AHI worker.


These guys didn’t want to let the bags go, however. I wanted very much to tell them that corruption is unacceptable, that they should turn from their wicked ways and repent. But that would have not wound us up in a safe place, so Gabriel discussed with them while I paced nearby with our wailing baby, singing hymns loudly to stop myself from wailing with him also.


Praise God, Gabriel came to a financial agreement with them and an hour later we waved goodbye to the bags in the van as it rolled away towards our hospital.


Though many things have happened in our lives and in the world this past year that I cannot understand, I know I can trust the One who has taken tender care of us all throughout.




“Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come for thy words.”

‭‭Daniel‬ ‭10:12‬ 


“And said, O man greatly beloved, fear not: peace be unto thee, be strong, yea, be strong. And when he had spoken unto me, I was strengthened, and said, Let my lord speak; for thou hast strengthened me.”

‭‭Daniel‬ ‭10:19‬ 

Comments

  1. Thank you for all the love and care you give to these people. You and Gabriel are truly servants of God. I pray your little boy is well now and remains so. May this year bring many blessings to your family and to the people in Chad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May God continue to bless you! You're doing a wonderful job. 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you and your family. I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My phone calls

Before their eyes